Data Migration 2: Using the Data Import Templates
Links to other Data Migration Articles:
- Data Migration 1: Overview of Importing Your Data
- Data Migration 2: Using the Data Import Templates <- You're here!
- Data Migration 3: Best Practices - Relationship Information
- Data Migration 4: Best Practices - Financial Information
The purpose of this article is to provide instruction on our Data Import Tool. If you want an overview on data migration in general be sure to check out: Data Migration: Overview of Importing your Data
Where can I find the templates?
To make the process as easy as possible, MonkeyPod has provided an easy to use import tool that allows you to bring over your data.
To find the templates go to Your Organization->Imports"
From here you will find the templates to import
- Relationship Data: Remember, people always get imported first! We can't bring in a donation history without first bringing over the relationship record.
- This import includes:
- Email Subscriptions
- This import includes:
- Pre-MonkeyPod Transactions: This import is specifically for transactions that occurred before your MonkeyPod bookkeeping start date
- Current Transactions: This import is for transactions after your bookkeeping start date. So if you're bringing in transactions from the current year - this is where you do that
- Other Imports: Usually these are imports that you need to bring in before you bring in transactions, Tags and Items
How do I use the templates?
To make things as easy as possible - the system generates a template specific to your data. That's right - the tool will generate templates for you.
To make it as clear as possible - let's work through a scenario where you are bringing in relationships and you would like to add a group of those to an email list. Remember, when it comes to imports, people come first. So our general plan here will be to import:
- Our relationships
- The email list subscription information
Bringing in Relationships
So let's start by going to our Organization->Imports->Relationship Data
From here be sure to read the instructions and then select "Download a template CSV file"
You will then be prompted to select which fields from your MonkeyPod you want to import.
Be sure to enter any custom attributes before you go to import, this will make it so they show on this list!
Then click "Download Template"
From here, just fill out the template
Need instructions and guidance on the templates? Be sure to click the link that gives you what is expected in each field
When you are ready to go check the "Yes! I read and followed the instruction. My import file is a work of art" then drag your file in or choose it from the window and click on "Next: Review Import"
Next, MonkeyPod shows you some records from your import so that you can see what they'll look like and asks you how it should handle duplicates.
If MonkeyPod spots a duplicate (usually a matched email address) how do you want to handle it?
- Skip the duplicate: This option means that MonkeyPod will skip over the import record and will instead keep the currently existing record in the system
- Delete and replace the existing record: This options means that the existing relationship in MonkeyPod will be completely overwritten with the new information from the import
- Allow duplicate email addresses to be treated as new records: This option means that the record in MonkeyPod will be kept and the new record in the import will be brought in. If you are unsure we recommend choosing this option then merging your duplicates.
If everything looks good, go ahead and click "Run Import" if there is something that doesn't look quick right, click "Cancel" and take a look at your import file
The last step is to review any Invalid Records that you had by downloading the file and taking a look!
Column A in the spreadsheet will let you know why the import row was invalid
For example, the Import Error for this row of data is that an Organization Name is required if the type is "Organization." So from here you can fix the error and try again!
Bringing in Email Subscriptions
Once your relationships are in, it's time to bring in information about them!
From here, you follow a very similar process to subscribe anyone you have in your system to an email list.
What do I need to prepare for each type of import?
To bring in Relationship Information
- What is this import?: Use this import to bring in all information on any of your relationships. From Donors to Vendors to Program Participants, this is the way you bring all relationship information in.
- What to prepare before bringing these in?: Before you can bring in your relationships, you should have your Roles and Custom Attributes set
People always come first. So be sure to prepare a list of all of your relationships. These can include but are certainly not limited to
- Donor Lists
- Vendor Lists
- Customer Lists
- Board Members
- Program Participants
- Funder information
- Organizational Partner information
- anyone you relate to as an organization!
Once you have gathered your lists, put them together and specify a role for people. Not able to bring everything in at once? Bring in what you can and use MonkeyPod's Duplicate Manager to merge their records after the fact.
- What is this import?: Use this import to mass add relationships to Email Lists. * Remember, you should have permission to email people on your lists*
- What to prepare before bringing these in?: Make sure that you've brought in all of your relationships and that you have set up your Email Lists
Once you have your relationships in MonkeyPod, this import lets you subscribe them to various email lists.
- What is this import? Use this import to bring in any interactions your organization has had with a relationship. Maybe you have a record of emails sent to them or a history of direct mailings.
- What to prepare before bringing these in?: Make sure that you've brought in all of your relationships and that you have setup any custom interaction types if you plan on using those
Once you have your relationships in MonkeyPod, this import lets you bring in interactions you have had with your relationships.
- What is this import?: This import let's you bring in any connections that your relationships may have with each other
- What to prepare before bringing these in?: Make sure that you've brought in all of your relationships and that you have setup any custom connection types if you plan on using these.
Once you have your relationships in MonkeyPod, this import lets you connect accounts to each other using connections.
To bring in Financial Information
- What is this import?: These templates are used to bring in sales and donation information from before your MonkeyPod Bookkeeping Start Date.
- What do I need to prepare before bringing these in?: After you bring in your relationships, you need to enter any Items and Tags that you want to attach to your transactions.
This import let's you bring in transactions from before your MonkeyPod Bookkeeping start date. These transactions will get put into a virtual account so that they don't impact your current financials. There is an import for Donations (contributed income) and an import for Sales (earned income).
- What is this import?: These templates are used to bring in transactions that are *tied to your current fiscal year*
- What do I need to prepare before bringing these in?: After you bring in your relationships, you will need to enter or import in any Items and Tags that you want to attach to your transactions. If you are bringing in expenses, you will need to make sure that they have a class associated to them.
This import let's you bring in transactions that are in your current fiscal year. You can bring in:
- Sales (be sure to bring in your items first!)
- Credit Card Charges
- Journal Entries
- What is this import?: This is an import of tags and items that can be used to categorize relationships or transactions. You may consider coming up with a tagging system before you import to get the most out of Accounts, Classes, and Tags in MonkeyPod.
- What do I need to prepare to bring these in?: Learn about how our system uses tags and make sure you have a good understanding of the concept, then all you need to do is give each Tag a type so that you can easily search and sort through them
This import let's you bring in a list of tags. Tags in MonkeyPod can be used to tag information on transactions, but also program participation, and a lot more. Be sure to learn about these to make sure you're setting up your system as efficiently as possible
- What is this import?: This import lets you bring in your items in one swoop! This is useful if you sell a lot of merchandise, class "items", etc...
- What do I need to bring these in?: You will need to have a list of your items, their descriptions, and their amounts to start.
This import let's you bring in a list of items in one go! Items in MonkeyPod are used when you need to invoice someone for a service that your organization has provided. We see these often with organizations who provide a service, classes, sell merchandise, and so much more!
Data Import Template FAQs
- Do the columns need to be in the same order as they are in the template
- No! We understand that you are likely bringing in already existing spreadsheets - so keep the columns in the order that you know!
Want more amazing video content? Check out our YouTube channel!